California Child Guardianship FAQ

Sometimes a child’s parent is not interested in caring for them. Other times, parents want to be responsible for their children, but, for whatever reason (be it drug addiction, financial woes, or even disability), are unable to do so. In cases where a parent cannot or will not care for a child, it is possible for a non-parent adult, such as another family member or a close family friend, to establish guardianship over the child through family court. In today’s blog post, we’re answering some commonly asked questions about California guardianship.

What are some reasons for which a parent might not be able to care for a child?

Sadly, the possibilities here are endless. Here are some examples:

  • The parent is incarcerated
  • The parent needs to go to rehab for a drug or alcohol problem
  • The parent has been accused of abuse
  • The parent is dealing with a severe physical or mental illness

Ultimately a guardianship can be established any time family court believes it to be in the best interest of the child.

What are a guardian’s responsibilities?

The guardian’s responsibilities are essentially what you think of when you think of parenting duties. The guardian will provide food, shelter, and other necessities for the child. They will also be responsible for making decisions about things like the child’s education and medical care. The guardian should keep the child safe and foster healthy physical and emotional growth.

What is the difference between guardianship and adoption?

In a guardianship, parents still have parental rights. They can still have contact with the child. This is not the case in an adoption. Guardians are also supervised by the court while adoptive families are not. Finally, adoption is permanent while a guardianship can be changed. In a guardianship, the parent can resume care for the child when he or she is able and willing again.

Who can help me with guardianship and other family law matters in California?

If you are dealing with a family law situation related to guardianship, or if you would like to learn more about this or another California family law matter, The Grey Legal Group, APC is here for you. We have the knowledge and experience to offer you the guidance and clarity you seek. We encourage you to contact us through our website or to give us a call at (951) 587-8970 today. We can’t wait to hear from you!

The following two tabs change content below.

The Grey Legal Group

At The Grey Legal Group, we believe in helping all families with their legal needs so they can be protected on your journey back to a calmer, happier place of stability. Whether it is divorce, child custody, guardianship, domestic violence, or adoption, we have seen it all before and we can help you through it. With the legal knowledge and experience we bring to the table, we will be certain to find the best and most efficient solution to your situation.

Latest posts by The Grey Legal Group (see all)

Schedule a Consultation with the Click of a Button

Schedule a Consultation with the Click of a Button

Call now to schedule your consultation

Call now to schedule your consultation